Spay and Neuter for Dogs & Cats in North Greenville, NC
Two of the most routine and commonly performed surgeries in veterinary medicine are spays and neuters. These procedures are highly beneficial to cats and dogs alike, as it helps prevent serious diseases later in life and even curbs undesirable behaviors that can take a toll on your bond with your pet. At Animal Care Veterinary Hospital, we strongly recommend surgery for all pets to ensure they live a longer, healthier, and happier life with you.
Benefits of Spay/Neuter Surgery in North Greenville NC
The benefits of surgery are both medical and behavioral, and include the following:
- No heat cycles for females
- Decreased aggression in males
- Reduced inclination toward mounting and urine-spraying for males
- Reduced desire to escape to find a mate for both males and females
- Decreased risk of developing prostate problems in males
- Eliminated risk of developing testicular cancer in males
- Decreased risk of developing mammary gland tumors in females
- Eliminated risk of developing uterine or ovarian cancers in females
When Should My Pet Be Spayed or Neutered in North Greenville, NC?
We recommend bringing your pet in as soon as you get them in order to discuss their options. Most pets can be spayed or neutered at about 6 months of age, but we may perform the surgery a little earlier or later, depending on your pet’s breed and health. Many females benefit from an earlier spay before their first heat cycle. Meanwhile, larger breed dogs often need their reproductive hormones to help control their growth rate, so we may wait to spay/neuter them until they’re fully grown (at about 1 year of age).